Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Soliciting Wise Wrinkles

...And Ostensibly Earning Worldliness Honestly ;)

Yes, it's that time of year again - the time we talk about age and getting older: My birthday!

This year, since it's a big one, culminated in the form of many things I enjoy - travel, sunshine, my man, biking, exploring, learning - all of which I found in San Francisco. 

It was a pretty tight trip to fit into three days but we managed to cover a lot of ground 
by foot, cable car, bike, train and bus. 
Maybe also because it was a big birthday, I received a very special gift - a new camera!!!! 
I'm learning to use it and loving it. 
Hopefully I'll be able to share better photos from now on.


Day 1 - We arrived in the late afternoon, explored the fisherman's wharf, enjoyed happy-hour, tried out my new camera, and visited the Exploratorium, which is a science museum open to adults at a reduced rate in the evening, liquor licence and all. 




Day 2 - I woke early. Must have been the excitement of my birthday itself! We lazily breakfasted, walked the city hall area and visited a mini performance of Beach Blanket Babylon. A famed musical from San Fran on its 40th anniversary, it is complete with enormous and outrageous hats. We rented bikes and rode about 20 miles - most of which was flat but included two gruelling hills which were happily enjoyed going downhill on the reverse route, crossed the Golden Gate Bridge, 
and went for a nice dinner at Annabelle's (not actually our cow, lol).





Day 3 - Was a tad cramped, but we managed to ride cable cars, visit the crooked section of Lombard Street, bus and walk to Haight-Ashbury and the Golden Gate Park as well as take in a ball game at AT&T Center where the Giants beat the Mets.








We stayed at Aida Plaza Hotel which was good value, not fancy, and not a fancy price. 
I would recommend it as long as you are okay with a hostel feel. 
Aida was less for three nights than for a single night at a mid range hotel at the last minute. 
I, of course, am not a princess and don't feel entitled, so it's location facilitated a fantastic trip. 


Don't get caught:

*If we did it again we'd know better and rent bikes from a company and not use the bay area bikes which is a share program... they are not $9 for 24 hours, with extra charges for returning them late, they are $9 plus your use which will add up very quickly.  Too bad the instructions were unclear as 2 bikes for 4 hours ended up costing $124... Ouch, especially when bus tickets for the day are only $14 each!!!

*Also regarding transit to and from SFO airport, the BART doesn't run all night or particularly early in the morning - on weekends in particular - but there is a bus company called SamTrans that will 
get you there faithfully. Check them out and don't miss your flight!




If you noticed I didn't mention cake it is because there wasn't any.
Now that I'm home I'll be making some. More on that soon!



I am so impressed that I can take a nice picture!!!
This camera will be the most used gift ever :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment