Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Settling into the UK


Honestly I haven't really seen much at all because, as I keep reminding myself, I am here for work not play and so the books have been open on my lap while I sit on the couch in my wee apartment. I could be on any couch, anywhere...

I have gotten out for a few jaunts here and there. The grocery store, a few jogs and three return trips on the bus to the airport, but all are excellent perspectives from which to see people and every day life.
One odd thing I've noticed, which I rather like, is at the grocery check out. The clerk waits until you've finished packing your items and you've lifted them away from the counter before starting the next order. They even say good bye to you. It's so pleasant! 
 

I thought this was fitting for a photo. Too bad I wasn't the proud driver! 
 
This photo is of (some flower I don't recall the name of) which I've seen in various colours of blue/purple/pink/white, and I was quite surprised to see it in (nearly) red! A purple version is farther away. 

I've really got to get out with my new camera. And go to London. And Munich, Belfast and Brussels. Or something. After my line check I certainly will!


I've been spoiling myself a little with fish. It all started last summer when I first tried Atlantic salmon and got hooked (hehe) in Belfast. I've also had tuna and prawns, but I imagine they weren't swimming anywhere nearby, I just happen to be in the mood for seafood. Another favourite of mine is watercress. I've never seen it available in Canada. And since I'm always up for trying something new, I did. However, as it turns out 'land cress' - I'm not actually sure that's a real term, as opposed to watercress, doesn't taste as good. It's a weedy flavour somewhere between grass and flowering dandelion, but drier... :(  Dry isn't a flavour, is it now? But people do describe wine than way... Incidentally dry doesn't really work for me in that regard either! 


And now it's actually raining for the first time in week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment