Saturday, June 21, 2014

Flying to Cyprus



I really loved my holidays, and they were this first real holidays I believe I've had as an adult. It was almost like summer holidays before you were old enough to have a job... Remember that? Yes that long forgotten freedom!!! Actually I still had to pay bills and drive myself around, so it was a wee bit different, admittedly, but I basically did as I pleased and which in itself was quite relaxing and appreciated. I suppose I could have gone for a massage as the cherry on top, but alas, Rita's hand isn't yet healed. 




The good news is, I also really love my job. It's interesting and takes me places I'm not sure I would otherwise have gotten to on my own. I know sometimes it's a lot of reading and memorizing and putting it all into action, but that process itself can even be quite rewarding, if not fun! 




Today I went to Cyprus. Yes that island in the Mediterranean, way over to the east, belonging half to Greece and half to Turkey, with a rivalry so rank air traffic control can't even speak to eachother to arrange hand overs between centers. Um yep, seriously. That's rather disappointing. I know. But instead I was wondering about the possible association of the island and cypresses - those trees which are really more bush-like than anything else - as the dry hilly island is decorated in a shade of dark hunter green here and there. A long, sandy, southerly facing beach stretches out in front of Larnaca, where we landed (Greek territory), and ends almost on short final to the runway. The city is larger than I imagined... And looks like a nice vacation point. All white-ish yellow hued concrete multi-floor buildings with villas at the shore, and many little bodies sunbathing on the sand and swimming in the sea. Did I mention it was 29 degrees C? I wish we overnighted!!!




Then we had a busy little time returning to London... But rewarding :) 

Photo 1: Looking out of the window over Cyprus

Photo 2: Our planned approach, not that it really turned out that way, but vectors do often avoid holds!

Photo 3: Just over TEBRA, some way point in the sky, where facing west, with good weather, you can see the south Dover area. The green thing is a sun visor. It wasn't really meant to make it in the picture but it had to be a quick snap just before commencing our descent.



Did you know most meuseums in London are free? Yep FREE?!?! Awesome!!!
And now I'm going to attempt to put my jet lag and lack of sleep behind me... Nighty night!

No comments:

Post a Comment