Sunday, June 14, 2015

Happy Orange Chocolate Birthday!

I really loved the Millionaire's cake I made for my birthday last year when we got home from San Francisco. But, another birthday offers another cake choice... I wanted chocolate, of course, but I thought why not add a little orange just for interest sake and to add a little complexity of flavour? 


So I added orange in three ways: 
Zest in the whipped cream filling, juice in the frosting and Triple Sec in the ganache. 
It turned out to be deep and dark and chocolate-y with just the right amount of orange. 
And I thought, why not and a tier? Who knows I might want to eat a lot of cake? Or share it! 


As you may have guessed I took inspiration from the Sweetapolita Bakebook, however in the form of components only in order to create this specific cake. Anyway, it was sooooo tasty! Wow! 
And I loved the tier. How fun :)
I took some photos with my camera I hope will turn out well. However in the mean time I'll thank my iPhone and Justin who thought to take a few photos, too. 


This Mylar balloon really speaks for itself. Awesome, right!?


Of course, roses for Miss Rose herself. This colour is addictive. 
I'm drying them now to see if I can save some of their beauty. 


I finally finished folding and stringing up my paper stars to make my otherwise barren bedroom walls exciting with a banner-mobile - arguably it's actually six. 
It may have a bit of a dorm decor look, but I am in Templepatrick, not at home. 
However I'm rather pleased with the effect. 


Even if I have artistic qualities, when I use the other side of my brain a whole lot, I find it somewhat difficult to flip back into the creative mode. It takes time, patience and inspiring supplies to channel my inner artist. In the end I'm very happy with the effect and my choice of colours (some created specifically with oil pastels) as well as the layout in the 'constellation'. 
I love that it is the first thing I see when I wake up, if I cannot see Jordan. 


P.S.
I'm thinking a slightly orange flavoured cream cheese icing could make a smashing carrot cake. 
Any takers?

No comments:

Post a Comment