Sunday, July 13, 2014

Avenue Verte - A Section

I have a friend who I don't often see, but when we get together it's always time for an adventure. I'm up for just about any crazy idea, and Rob is the instigator. Sometimes ideas are not attainable in the time frame, like biking the Avenue Verte to Paris in 2.5 days, however it would be pretty darn cool to be able to say I'd done that. Instead we took that plan and shortened it to a two day ride, made it a loop, and used pathways 21/2/20. Check out Sustrans for bike routes in England. It's a very helpful site. 

We stopped for lunch here on the first day as we went through Crowborough.

Day 1: We got off to a late start as we had to find a bike for Rob to rent in the morning. We rode for 7.5 hours and covered 56 miles or so. The trail was pretty well signed, but where it wasn't we accidentally went our own way and then had to find our way back. That was a rather lot of riding for me on my old cruiser, five gears and all. Most of the route was fairly flat and also off road in some very picturesque areas, which living in Crawley I would never have expected to see. There were also some hills which were a struggle to climb, but a delight to fly down. With about two hours to go I really noticed my energy level dropping, but we made it to Seaford, a cute little retirement fishing community, where we ate fish and chips as it started to get dark. Unfortunately there is nowhere to stay there so we took the train to Brighton. 



We could finally see the ocean from here. I needed that glimpse to get me to the end! Biking on grass is mighty tiring. 


Yay! The shore!


Day 2: Brighton was too interesting not to poke around on the pier and in the Laines, so we spent the morning and early afternoon there. There is also a Robert Street, so we had to bike that, of course, and I needed a new tube on my back wheel so I got that sorted as well. Next was the 20 route to Crawley, measuring about 25 miles. We should have left earlier as we may have arrived in time not to get soaked and to return the bike, but what's a ride in England without a little rain? The route was for the most part directly beside, if not on, the road. A few bits were off road but it really made for a noisy ride. Muscles were a wee bit sore but sitting on a bike seat and pedaling made for some rather painful chaffing... 

Standing on the pier where there's a midway, I was able to get the city, beach and a part of the pier all in one photo. I forgot to take photos of the Laines...

"Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use." 
- Charles M. Schulz

Over the two day ride, I definitely used all five of mine. 
And was jealous of Rob's 24. And streamlined tyres. 
And maybe his bike in general.
I do love my Crimson Super Two, but I may be thinking about a newer version...
Nevertheless I am rather proud to say my bike and I made it all the way! 


Next time the Eiffel Tower with Lucy and Jordan, too...?! We will need four days. And maybe another few for Paris :)

No comments:

Post a Comment