Friday, March 17, 2017

Thinking about Spring!

It is sunny today, the rabbit babies are too cute for words bounding out of their nests, 
and now my mind is on Spring!


Firstly, feel really good about the decision to plant my garlic and shallot bulbs just where I did, because (I think) it's quite possible non-native bulbs and perennials do not benefit from the chinook temperature fluctuations (the way I do!). The spot where we chose to plant the bulbs is protected during the low-sun-angle-winter-light by a shelter belt we have along our east-west driveway creating a snowpack that has not melted all winter. Maybe I'm wrong, however I think this undisturbed insulation will be beneficial, to the bulbs, and also to the orchard plants we plan (hope) to put in later this spring in a location nearby with the same protection.


Next, that reminds me I need to get outside to do all the pruning. This little ruffian could stand to come with me. Too much time spent inside and he's getting too big for his britches!


In more ways than one! Fat cat.

I've made all my seed orders, and even received them, apart from the potatoes which have their own delivery schedule. I'm happy to have Eagle Creek keep those potatoes for me because we have had quite a time keeping ours overwintering properly... to be fair, some improvements upon how we keep our vegetables and other garden harvest in the basement must be implemented before this Autumn. I guess we need to speak with some of the old timers around here because our basement is just too warm if the house is warm enough, and the stairwell out of the basement is too warm during a chinook - too cold without one, in order to find a solution. We are leaning toward a dug out, but concerned since our land in basically flat... We don't really need a pond. 
Otherwise we will then need ducks... lol.


I always think I'm done with my garden planning and pre-planning, but it seems on-going! Many hours logged so far on the organization for growing success, long before we even truly get started. I got out the moon calendar (for gardeners) to help guide my seed sowing schedule, but I'm afraid work assignments are getting in the way! I've figured out my plan of attack nevertheless. It falls in with the mantra around here: "Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance". Thanks to the Possums (ooh! another P!) for providing that alliteration. I've even finalized my homework by displaying it for myself in the same way I laid out my vegetable planting map... a great big chart on the wall.


On a soap and other handmade cosmetics note, I had the opportunity to create a basket-full for a community donation, so I did. We thought it would be a nice chance to show the best products off and put our farm name a little further than the sign at the beginning of our driveway. It took hours upon hours, but looked fantastic in the end. Someone will win it next weekend! I hope they love it!


I never took a photo I was so rushed. Disappointing. 
Inside a few terracotta pots tucked into a woven basket lined with burlap I managed to tuck in: 
In-bath Goddess Moisturizer, Massage Oil, Malabar Orange Body Scrub, 
Tropical Butter Lip Balm, Deodorant, Rescue Bath Salts, Shampoo Bar, Facial Bar, 
Body/Hand Bar, Hot Oil Treatment, Shave Soap, and Stain Stick.


And I even got around to making laundry soap for myself.
But of course the To-Do List goes on...


1 comment:

  1. The dedication you're showing is admirable. I know I could not devote so much of my free time to such time-intensive pursuits (though those bath salts do sound lovely).

    ReplyDelete