Thursday, March 30, 2017

Yes, Spring is Here

Spring IS here. There are definite hints, if not signs, even though it snowed over one foot yesterday. Snow is also a part of spring here, but it's more watering than chilling and disappears quickly. Yes quickly, almost as fast as my vacation seems to have come and gone...



Outside we have leaf buds on bushes and trees, as well as on raspberry, blueberry, rose and lilac bushes, and flower buds on my flowering plums. Some of my bulbs have sprouted, and other bulbs and corms are showing green spikes (lilies, iris, asparagus, peony [pink spikes], garlic, shallots and rhubarb). Even some early leafy plants are showing great signs like the poppies and yarrow I transplanted, (the poppies came up from the old location anyway so I say the more flowers the better), my favourite columbines, a sedum and dandelions! Ha ha! Of course there are dandelions! 



So join me for a hot cup of dandelion tea, (or would you say coffee?) to celebrate Spring! It's the colour of coffee, with a smoothness neither coffee nor tea can touch. We can even enjoy it after dinner because it's caffeine free. 



We had another batch of rabbit babies, this time all born on the same day! There were four moms - each one had milk, and even used her nest box for the very first time! Cause for celebration!!! The first time mom only had two babies. One was a runt (and went the way of most runts) which leaves the other alone. I was worried about it keeping warm, but it's well fed and snug in a fur mass. Two moms are perfect - Rochelle our original and best mama, and her softest daughter, Mopsy. And the one without milk previously, has now lost over half her litter to malnutrition - as in no nutrition because she wasn't feeding her babies. Her remaining two are now happy, fat kits, so I hope she's got this figured out for next time... Maybe we can be friends again, Flopsy and me.



Our previous set of litters are already turning grey, and I'm happy to say Little poo-butt, our unluckiest of the dirty babies (Hello mother! After delivery you only have two jobs: feeding and cleaning. I was really happy about the first, but you really, severely slacked with the latter...) has survived. It's still the smallest, but getting healthier every day, thanks to weeks of special attention. 


My early start flats (and mini and maxi blocks) are getting off to a good start. Of the 45 or so different seeds I planted, all have sprouted except two. Both I have limited information about starting. If you know anything about starting the Rocky Mountain Bee Plant or Arnica from seed, perhaps you could share your experience or expertise? Otherwise, most are doing well, some just okay, and others surprisingly well! It seems starting pumpkins, melons, and squash inside is a good thing. This is a huge head start! 


I was worried about my asparagus, everything else for which I saved seed (sweet peas, columbines, pansies) and my specially acquired Indigo, but all are doing quite well. I don't have much experience, but I do have enough to say, just because I'm having such good luck with germination, and many varieties getting their first real leaves, this great start may be short lived. My luck may run dry, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Jordan has been left in charge now and I hope all goes bush-ily and greenly! The photo is a little old, as these broccoli are bigger now, but you get the idea. 



Speaking of hot drinks, as I was earlier, I rather enjoy the quotes on Traditional Medicinals teas. We still certainly need ample hot drinks around here to ward off the cold and the colds! I prefer to mix my own teas with fresher ingredients but tea bags can be very handy, and sometimes inspirational. ;)



What's putting Spring in your step? 

No comments:

Post a Comment