Saturday, March 4, 2017

Dabbling Naturalist


I was pretty pleased with the products I included in my second test package. 
Of course I test them before sending them out to be tested by my panel of judges, 
and lots of items don't make the cut, even though they were recipes other people 
use and are happy with... or I find they are actually perfect for a different use. 


As with any on going project, I tend to learn things, and learn things about myself. 

I'm finding I am happier and happier creating things for myself and other people. 
The fact I can make things from natural ingredients I know, is even better, 
and I'm striving for more of that. I've got a few new plans and plants for the garden this year, 
hoping to harvest some of my own herbs and medicinals to improve upon and inspire my products. Self reliance is great as a concept on its own, but truly gives me a sense of freedom and delight for those moments it occurs in my life. 
I also notice raw materials are becoming harder to find. Everything is already a product,
 or a mix, or extended by adding 'extras'. That sadly eshews creativity, doesn't it? 
If I can find an element on its own it's often rather expensive, and many items 
are adulterated even if it's not entirely obvious. That segues nicely to the example of the issue of essential oils. And I wanted to mention something about their smells. 
At first I found them a little obtrusively strong, but after having success mixing them 
into some really special combinations in proportions I like, and using them more and more in products I use everyday, chemically created scents are becoming less and less appealing. 
Sometimes appalling. 
I've also noticed that because I've gone to all the trouble of making myself something, 
I'll use it. So if the something takes care of me, even better. 
My example will be the cardamom grapefruit moisturizer, which I ended up 
only making enough of for my test packs, so I had to make it over. 
In the meantime I'd made a small home still to create a rose hydrosol. 
I used as much of the rose hydrosol as I could in the waters portion of my moisturizer 
(it also tinted the cream pink which was pleasing - a natural dye!) which I may have made better, 
or more easily the second time. That effort may be what has driven me to take the 
time to wash my face (yes, I made that soap, too) 
twice a day and use the moisturizer during the day and additional one for night. 
My skin is thanking me for it all. 
The final thing I've noted, is how I cannot do anything unless I apply my own twist. 
Perhaps unless I do, I don't really own the idea? Or because I needed to substitute? Or I like the idea, but I have a different direction in which I need to go? 
I've realized I haven't once followed a single recipe as it was written in this 
whole creating natural cosmetics process. And it's worked fine. 
Though I may have to succumb to following directions, if I could ever find some, 
in order to make conditioner: the nemesis of my experimentations! 

Okay let's get to what was inside. 


Two bars of soap. These are for your body, hands, any skin you want to wash. 
They certainly do clean, and rinse away. 
I was aiming for local ingredients, as much as possible, bar hardness, lather, and skin care. 
It's possible the orange one was harder, and people preferred the scent. 
However since I'm pretty minimalistic when it comes to shaving (apologies legs) 
I thought the white one had more slip. Another minimalist though the same. 
Some people noticed no difference between them, but we all noticed adequate lather 
which was nonexistent in the first soap tested. The flowers were cute on top. 
Actually they started out pink, but reacted with the soap batter and turned yellow. Now I know. Yellow is fine anyway. It's the colour of sunshine! 

I have a friend who's a chemist, and he insists all these cosmetic creations are just carbon chains, which is true (but there are many, many types of carbon chains). 
Even he, (who kindly cautions me when I'm using NaOH to take care not to splash) 
who feels perhaps as though I'm making far too great an effort, 
for products I could just purchase, does support the localness of my carbon gathering. 


Some hair products! The shampoo bar was a success, but could be improved upon. 
Great for guys and short hair. But too drying to the scalp overall. 
Experiments show progress in this department. In fact I may have created a bar I'd not like to adjust. The shampoo bar is also excellent for travelling because it isn't a liquid. 
It can't spill and isn't an issue in airport security. 
Anyway, the shampoo bar has replaced the commercial liquid shampoo in my life entirely. 
Still no replacement for the conditioner off the shelf, though. 

For the month I didn't use any conditioner, I tried two other products to moisturize and tame, 
which I shared in the package as well. 

One was intended to be an end cream for the tips of your hair to keep them fresher and more hydrated. A little goes a long way, and I'm not just saying that. 
As it turns out it's awesome in curls and using too much isn't really an issue, there. 
Learning that, I tried using it to tame my 'work hair' with good results. 
Putting my headset on kind of ruins everything hair-wise so I just focus on 
how I look going to work, not leaving! 

As rejuvenation for the length of my locks, I made a hot oil. 
It works like any commercial version, but I'm happy I could make it, results were nice, and I knew what was in it. The botanicals smelled kind of interesting but also amazing. 


Relief Bath Salts for sick people were designed when Jordan and I got sick. 
They worked so well to relax, sooth, relieve aches and pains, and open congested airways, 
I thought I should share them. I do think the bath part of the process is actually the 
most effective tool, but it also allows the essential oils to really enter your body 
(absorption and inhalation) and take effect. 
I put lavender petals in for decoration, but should have maybe offered a tea strainer 
for those who don't like them all over their tub after draining. 
Good thing I have a detachable shower head since I hate dirty messes myself. 
The tea strainer is a good idea. I'd rather steep myself in tea than drink it! 


Laundry soap... is it possible? Yes, in my top loading washer it certainly is. 
Even in cold water, as long as it's ground finely, I might add. 
But it seems front loading washers may not be compatible. 
I'll have to investigate further since that was only one single test. 
In my washer it leaves clothes fresh, but nearly scentless, just the way I like them. 
Now for a smell sheet of some type for those scent lovers. That shouldn't be too tricky. 
I'd like to eliminate those terrible dryer sheets once and for all. 
You want soft? Pour in some vinegar. None of its smell will stay on your clothes! 
Scent? Yes a cloth sack with a cloth insert you add some essential oil to before 
tossing in with your dryer load. We don't want oil spots. 
Or I could add the essential oil in excess to the washing powder... 
I'm almost out so now is the time to try it! 


Two moisturizers, which I mentioned above, both packed with botanicals for healthy skin. 
One greasier, thicker for night time, and one lighter for day time. 
I have really liked using these creams together and I find they work almost as well 
as some expensive versions I could buy. 
The night time (lemon meringue) is a little to wet-oily and 
the day time (cardamom grapefruit) could be more penetrating and longer lasting, 
at least in all my dry climates... Alberta, recirculated airplane air, hotel rooms... 
so obviously more tweaking ahead. 
I've got a few new ingredients to try, and emulsifications, and aloe to harvest! 



Because it was February I made a very pleasing massage oil with a great light scent 
and everyone enjoyed that. I'm glad I made everyone get a massage. Lol. You're welcome. 
The dropper was a very clean way of dispensing otherwise oily oil, 
and the glass bottle an easy way to gently heat the oil. 
I will try to find a clip top on a glass container, 
because some people just wanted more oil all at once. 
I guess that means they liked it! ;)


Who wants massage oil if there's no one to share massages? No one. 
That's what I thought, too, so I made scrubs for one of the testers.
 I'll have to work on the face scrub (perhaps having the wet and dry separate until being put to use), but the body scrub was so good it's all gone, she wants more, and it's her favourite! 
Yes! I love pleasing people!


Speaking of pleasing people, I think that package looks like a great thing to get. 
What do you think? 

One package nearly got mauled before it got to its recipient by 
some ladies who know our eggs and like what comes from our farm. 
I suppose they liked the look of it! 






No comments:

Post a Comment