Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Marsa Alam, Egypt

At Warsaw Airport 

I hadn't before had the opportunity to fly to Egypt during the day, 
or to fly anywhere other than Sharm El Sheik, 
which for me isn't the Egypt I've ever dreamt. 

Alexandria and the Mediterranean Coast

In the summer I went to Marsa Alam, 
and though it's on the Red Sea we flew over the mainland to get there. 
It was cloudy over Giza, so no pyramids for me,  
but a view of the Nile valley from about Asyut to Luxor. 

Near Luxor

The Nile is the centre of a striking, fat, green snake that stands out clearly against the sandy desert. 

Luxor 

It was very hot in Marsa Alam and on the approach we suddenly saw this 'town'. 
It came out of nowhere and we both wondered if it had been a mirage. 
It was indeed a real town, but the feeling or illusion may still have been caused by 
the same type of light refraction that causes a true mirage. 

Islands in the Red Sea

I guess I keep getting closer to visiting the ancient places of my childhood dreams... one day! 

Egyptian Red Sea Coast


Saudi Arabia in the background
Now it's all Cancun and Canada for the foreseeable future! 
(Until next year...)



No comments:

Post a Comment