Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Diaries of a Hopeful Gardener - Salt Spring Seeds

Gardening connects me to what is real, (as do my small assays into animal husbandry, building, kitchen endeavours, and knitting) add heritage seeds and seed saving, and real gets even better. I'd just like to share my happy endings regarding growing seeds from Salt Spring Seeds. You can read more about the company and their philosophy, here: www.saltspringseeds.com



The Seven Top Turnips are reminiscent of octopuses. Don't you think? The plan was that these would be animal feed, and the chickens did love the tops. The roots have been stored in sand and are being fed slowly so my dear poults continue to have fresh food now that the garden is packed up for winter. 



In the photos the turnips are about 60 days from direct sow, and when I pulled the crop for harvest at 90 days the roots were more developed, those crazy taproots had aerated my soil (they were a tad difficult to get out of the soil) and the extremely bushy tops were dying down ever so slightly. Planted June 18, in very poor soil, had excellent germination, were quick to make the garden look green and alive, left in the ground for a few light frosts and one hard frost, about 90% reached a good size. I might instead try a smooth cultivar next year, known for keeping well. Just to mix things up. 



The amaranth was one of the most attractive plants in our garden. The stocks grew tall and the 'flowers' were colourful and fun. Sadly in our short and far too cool and wet season, and week early frost, they didn't have the chance to develop seeds. I'd happily try these again next year, but start them earlier. 



Two interesting facts: the roots are the same colours as the stalks and flowers and they stayed upright and tall after a 30 hour wind storm that even the chickens wouldn't go out in. 



Both the phacelia and borage grew well, were very popular with bees and could be used as attractive bouquet fillers. The blossoms of the borage were featured floating in drinks, on cakes and just about everything else as they are edible and perfect for such applications. The phacelia is curled a bit like a fiddlehead and unusual. I've attempted to save seeds from both - they are drying out now. 



The cosmos were white through the deepest fuchsia, have a single row of petals, and bloomed profusely at the very end of August. I've also attempted to save some seeds, though the frost may have thwarted my efforts. 



The calendula was really beautiful. I'd have liked to collect the blossoms for essential oil, but of course I was not home at the prime moment to do so. Next year perhaps as I'm sure I've been able to save these seeds. They were vibrant orange with some variations in the centre colour and petal fluffiness. These lasted well into the frost looking cheerful and were the final plant to be removed for winter. 



Since we were so happy with the seeds I am now experimenting with garlic and shallots. I've planted this fall 50 garlic (Music), 25 garlic (Red Russian) and 50 French Grey Shallots. I might have preferred more of the Red Russian garlic but since my mom was kind enough to bring them all the way out to me from Salt Spring, I cannot complain about order mistakes! ;) 



Speaking of what is real, check out this cool woman (Megan Samms) here: http://megansamms.com/. We dyed the samples above in Indigo with her. (Let double dipped, right single dipped). We met her at our local wool mill (Custom Woolen Mills) where she was the artist in residence.



(Sorry no photo just yet of the calendula - it will arrive with the rest of my very tardy posts😉)






No comments:

Post a Comment