Thursday, February 11, 2016

Caramellow-Yellow

The inaugural cake to be baked on the farm has arrived. And vanished! Lol 



A terrifying yet awesomely wonderful process - from the details of baking in our new kitchen to tasting a last wee crumb smeared in icing - for me, who occasionally must 'cake', and who desires results! 

You may be surprised to hear it wasn't chocolate. I'm honestly baffled, but it was delicious, and the deciding factor was a pound of really expensive butter Jordan bought by mistake (!). Apparently I'm far too frugal (some would say cheep) to buy such an ivory delicacy, even by accident, but in a responsible manner I used a cup of it very wisely. I know I don't usually like butter in cakes, but it's possible (very likely) good butter could make a substantial difference, and there's oil too... Obviously. I just used a bit less quality butter than called for, while compensating with oil to keep the moisture in the crumb. Totally worth the effort and the butter in the long run. This is my current favourite yellow cake..! 
I do not begrudge the mistake!!!



This kitchen is a dream come true! I love it, love it, love it! 

Old mixed with the new. Logic and cupboards and drawers everywhere. 
Country theme - especially the sink. Soft neutral colours speaking a whisper of green. 
Handmade concrete countertops. Windows, light, the ceiling... 
It all looks great with my red mixer. 
Okay, I am struggling with my stove top a bit, truth be told, but I'm convinced I'll love the induction just as soon as I figure it out, and the caramel cooked on it was a success. The cake making went well. 
Working on a few things, but you'll see those soon...

Kitchen Heaven.



Caramellow-Yellow is it's name. 
Caramel, salted. Brazil nuts, toasted. Marshmallow icing, unfortunately a tad runny. 
Between layers of yellow buttermilk cake. With chocolate icing on the outside. 
Fine gold dust... My imperfect decorating. 

The second cake could be chocolate... 

*****

And now that I've waited so long to post, 
(we need wifi inside our home where it's warm and comfy, 
plus I need to deduce how to reduce the wastless eons I spend dawdling) 
there's actually been a second cake and it's banana! 


Apparently I liked the easy decorating technique I used on the first cake so much... 
I copied it. They could almost be the same cake, no? 
I've not been very satisfied with my recent cooking, therefore must revel in these layers.
Layers of cake and what methods actually work for me.
(Just because you put it in a slow cooker doesn't mean it will taste good. 
You also have to turn it on. Fancy that.)


It was just a wee cake, though.
Mmmm

I haven't been able to use the web-based function of this programme for a week,
or so now. (Another of my many excuses for not posting)
So links are pasted here:

Banana Cake
http://sweetapolita.com/2016/02/banana-graham-smores-cake-supreme/

Yellow Cake
ie Best Ever Buttermilk Cake
http://sweetapolita.com/2016/01/buttermilk-birthday-cake-with-malted-chocolate-frosting/
And yes I substituted 1/4 cup oil for 1/4 cup butter,
Because,
Why? 
Guess I'm just a canola girl. Yellow is happy!

Speaking of canola oil, this is cool. Read it:
https://www.highwoodcrossing.com/about-highwood-crossing/
These people are doing something worth talking about! 


I covet being a farmer, of something. 


No comments:

Post a Comment