Sunday, January 24, 2016

Jordan's Irish Sweater

Jordan told me he wanted a sweater. That was last Christmas. He gave me those pleading, begging eyes that said, "I will be very, very disappointed and sad if you don't. You have a whole year! What could be so hard about that? " 

Of course I was happy to oblige. He was forgetting he'd have to get his photo taken in it. Lol. We chose a suitable pattern and I used the cone (2/3rds) of green tweed Irish wool I had bought in Donegal to make my dad a sweater or a vest. So it also has an intrinsic meaning literally knit right in. 



The pattern is called Hugo, from Brooklyn Tweed, by VĂ©ronik Avery. I purchased it on-line and I recommend their website for patterns - patterns that make garments recipients will actually wear because they're classic, but modern. Interesting cast on for the hems and cuffs (I enjoy details like this) and true to size so far as I can tell... There are instructions for men with wider shoulders, which I followed, and felt worked, however you can judge that for yourselves. 



I knit the parts: front, back, sleeves during my time in Northern Ireland over the past summer and managed to assemble them into a sweater, knit the collar, sew on the buttons and block it before Christmas morning. Sure I had a lot on the go, but I was definitely suffering from what I presume many other knitters are also plaged. That is, I know better than to think, but inevitably overlook and fall into the trap of believing I'm just about finished, when in fact, I'm not, as I still need to sew up, knit collars and edgings, finish the ends and attach notions. 


The wonderful thing is that after all the knitting and finishing, it actually fits! What do you think? 

1 comment:

  1. The sweater is amazing, and to think that some of it was knit in my lounge in Templepatrick. Jordan looks like a model! LOve love love the snaps.

    Big hugs your friend from Ulster.

    ReplyDelete