Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Begins!

A whole new year for a whole lot of new projects! 

Happy 2016! 

Now that we have our farm we are very, very happy 
and looking forward to all the adventures this first year will bring us. 
We have lists within lists of all we hope to have the time and money to accomplish. 
The good thing is, we like lists. 
Jordan doesn't always like referring to lists though - he says it's kind of like cheating. 
I disagree. I guess he likes to see what he gets to. I like to arrive home with everything I need.

Our first farm project, involving animals, is our "Chicken Coop", which once was a chicken coop, but is currently a rustic sitting room, with wood burning stove. 
We like it a lot, but we'll add to its functions.


Addition one will be a Rabbitry. I'm very excited about keeping rabbits 
and I'm being somewhat obsessive apparently. 
Nevertheless Jordan's happy to help me with my Rabbitry, and for that I'm thankful. 
I'm sure it'll become a very nice warren. 

I've chosen to breed Champagne d'Argent rabbits specifically 
because they are beautiful, well tempered, meat rabbits. 
When they are born they're all black. 
Around six weeks old they begin to turn silvery on their bodies. 


I'll get my trio in early May - two does and one buck. 
For now we are preparing their home and thinking of French names...
(So cute!!! I really cannot wait!) 

And of course we want to hatch chicks. Because chicks become chickens, and chickens lay eggs, and what is more appropriate for a wee farm than the ubiquitous chicken coop? 
We would like to hatch them, but we might just buy them. 
We will see about these feather babies in the Spring. 


In the meantime, we are eating well. 
Our new cast iron skillet just made us some heart shaped French toast. 
It was really good topped with grapefruit maple yogurt!

Also I made some mascarpone and used it two ways so far. 
Below in mini quiches:


And on top of a pizza with a pear and onion sauce. 
There are no photos. 
We ate it all up. 
And burnt our tongues we ate it so fast! 

I guess I'm due for a cake. 
And other cheeses. 
And to show off all the awesome things I got for Christmas! 

While it's cold I'm dreaming of growing a garden. We (I) will have quite a chore salvaging and reclaiming the area, but it did at one time grow enough potatoes for a whole winter. 
I'd like to vary my choices of vegetables, generally within the zone's most likely candidates, 
but it's good to know the land has been accommodating.

As I personalize our home, I'll share our rooms and house. 
I'll be starting with our bathroom upstairs. Or maybe some of the simpler rooms. 
It's wonderful in the first place, but like the predecessors, 
will get a tad of my elfin dust, and become just perfect for us. 
(Except this home is better than all the rest by a landslide) 

Inside projects are good for this time of year! 

It's a shame I didn't yet blog when my Dad and I did the renovation on the condo in Richmond.
It really warrented those 'before and after' pictures. 
That was a time before phone cameras. 
Or at least before I had one.

Here is the one and only remaining photo.
That bathroom was truly an oasis. I loved it!!!

I also take fewer photos in the cold it seems, for the sake of my fingers avoiding frostbite. 

We are still feeling so amazed by the fact we live in such a beautiful place, 
both home and property. 

We do need to get our internet sorted out. 
It's so convenient how it helps me to communicate, research and plan! 
For now it comes to our little house, but not our main house and it's cold in there because who wants to pay for heat in two houses? Not me. So I've been writing to you in my parka! 



Time to go in for a latte. How did I ever get out of the frothed milk habit? Delicious and warm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment