Sunday, August 16, 2015

Summer 2015 Trip: Munchen, Bavaria!

Well, obviously there are numerous breweries worldwide that claim to be the oldest. It's an interesting claim to fame and a feat of time. Here we are, having our photo taken at the entrance of the Weihenstephan Brewery, which claims to be the oldest brewery in continuous operation in the world. This may or may not be true, but what I can tell you for certain is: it is old, people do love their beer, it was originally a church and monestary and they serve delicious traditional food. Goulash was how I enjoyed my beer... meanwhile Jordan, who has actually brewed it himself, drank it in large glasses. 


It is located in Freising in the university where my best friend works. The Technical University of Munich probably even offers courses on becoming a brew master. It's quite amazing they get anything done there, really, but apparently they do. They assure me they do! 

We were told of a rather hilarious race, completed in pairs (I believe) where a team must follow the course of approximately 7 kilometres with a case of beer. Please bear in mind a case of beer in Europe is 24 x 0.5L... not 355 mL, so that makes 12L versus 8.5L... All the beer must be consumed by the players prior to crossing the finish line and may be done so as quickly or as slowly, as close or as far, as one may wish, depending on tactics and how much weight you intend to carry in the crate. Picturing this makes me giggle. What would your stratagy be? 


We went to Munich the following day and spent half our time perusing the streets and the other half in the English Gardens enjoying traditional music being played in a beer garden. We enjoyed WeiƟwurst with it's very own special mustard (a sweet mustard) and large pretzels. 

We rather enjoyed our whole time in Bavaria, but I felt the town of Freising was perhaps the best part, apart from my best friend, of course. Because she's the best. But that's not a fair way to gauge a place as she may not necessarily be a part of your next visit to Bavaria. 

Anyway, I wish I loved beer! 
I also wish Belfast weren't so difficult to get to and from... 
We spent our five hour layover in Manchester having a picnic. Airplane spotting. On some grass within walking distance of the terminal. 


I sound like I'm complaining, but it will point out, it was sunnier than the day before when we had a birthday picnic in Belfast. I made the wee one (who turned 1) the cake! His name is Anderson but he goes by Andy. As it turns out, his parents got engaged in a hot air balloon. Total surprise to me. But fitting! 







No comments:

Post a Comment