Sunday, August 23, 2015

Autumn is Here in Northern Ireland

Yes, Autumn is here. 

Enough flying just at the minute though. I'm tired, caught a cold since the weather turned and need some rest. I often think of September as a significant time, a renewal. It's likely a nod to the new school year, despite it being the beginning of autumn which is nature's preparation for hibernation. A time to get busy, organized and on track in terms of learning, finishing up outside projects and starting cozy ones indoors (Christmas knitting list?!), which is the complete opposite of my recent behaviour. I'm feeling a bit like a prisoner in my Templepatrick apartment and even a little lonely for home, which I blame on missing a Canadian summer. Once I can convince myself the days still to go are manageable (one month more exactly now) I am hoping for a wee personal transformation. 

Promising myself I'll get my quota vitamin D in Cancun. We'd better not get any hurricanes!


I did manage to pull some creativity and effort out of my proverbial hat, to make this masculin peanut butter chocolate cake, for one lucky Dad on his 68th birthday. The final touches were quite loving as I was feeling very near, in a reminiscing way, to my own Dad. I was asked for chocolate and peanut butter. So inside are three layers of my favourite, moist cocoa cake, filled with peanut butter frosting and classic peanut butter cookies. As you can see ganache is dribbling all over the top and down the sides, with cookies on top. I hope you can see the '68' and the gold dust. 

I've become a big fan of edible sparking dust. It's the cherry on top, without really being one - it might not be for everyone, but I did do an unforgettable glitz apprenticeship in Mississauga after-all. ;)


One disappointment regarding Fall here in Northern Ireland is the lack of pumpkin. They tin everything here. Yes, even hot dogs. But somehow there's not a single tin of pumpkin to be found. I'm sure some specialty place has it, but clearly it's not mainstream. When I asked for it in the grocery store, I noted I'd grown 29 extra heads. That was because of the look I got. 


So I settled happily enough with yam, knowing Calgary may not have the selection of fresh, beautiful and delicious fruits and vegetables I've become so fond of and accustomed to here, but I will find plenty of cans of orange coloured purée in just one month. They call it sweet potato, but anything this orange inside is no sweet potato...


I filled and covered my yam cake with whipped cream. Inside there are candied pecans for crunch. On top are gorgeous physalis. Very Autumn if I dare say.


Correct is right. No pumpkin, but fresh physalis any day of the week. Gourmet these people are, though could we not find a more appealing (less appalling - less disease sounding) name for this awesome and crazy fruit? 

*****

I think we actually missed summer entirely, except for maybe four or five good days, yet somehow I ate 20 or so ripe blackberries today... Plants do grow well here!

A final nod to Summer (Auf Wiedersehen Sommer...):


My neighbour was washing her new bike (the pink one with woven basket) and invited me to use her bucket of soapy water to wash mine as well. My bike has not been so clean since I painted her red! Last week we took a short journey of 24 kms passing through Parkgate, Doagh and Ballyclare. Another friend asked if I named my bike... I hadn't but now I've decided on Tilda. 


Waiting to depart runway 06 in Ibiza. Oh, how we wished we weren't departing, but staying the evening to enjoy the sunset and a pitcher of Sangria...


More love for the alps:
The Swiss alps (again) around Lucerne, Switzerland. 


And the Ghiacciaio dell'Adamello in the Italian Alps. 


Someone's contrails... I love the colours in the sky!


A frozen sundown... At 37,000' it was -54 degrees C.


I think I mentioned some time ago about my current aversion to shopping for clothes. Well maybe it takes just the right season, or just the right choices, or just simply having had quite enough of one's outdated wardrobe, or all of the above. I was kidnapped off to Lisburn two days ago to Mark's and Spencer's. That was where it happened... I did go shopping. 

Now all I'm missing is my lovely brown, large brimmed hat I've got at home. 

That and Jordan, naturally, since he's basically synonymous with 'home'.






1 comment: