Sunday, August 23, 2015

North Coast, First Two Guests

Again all my company comes more at the end of the deployment. I long for them to come, they arrive and time passes in a blink, then they leave and I realize not only is autumn fast approaching, but so is the arrival of more company and it's almost time for me to go back home. It feels a little like I'm rushing toward the finish line... 


Then sometimes it feels like it's taking forever. For example, when beating butter for five full minutes using a handheld mixer (oh red kitchen aid mixer how I dream of you!), or when I want to download the photos on my camera (I just want to share them), or I think too much about the people at home...

That's just life and the law of relativity!


I love this panorama at the Giant's Causeway. It's Jordan in blue and me in orange. I'm afraid the resolution is terrible here, but if we could somehow retain the clarity of the original, I'd love to blow it up and put it on the wall. 


Jess did a very thoughtful thing. She took my phone, made Jordan and me go ahead and took some photos of us together. Above we are approaching Downhill Demesne and below we are sitting at what looks like the top of a flight of stairs in the ruins of the residence beyond the turreted walls. 


At the edge of the bluff is the Musenden Temple. One of my absolute favourite buildings on earth. I wish it were mine. I could get very serious in there with various projects, channeling my artistic verve, if only I had a hot fire blazing below... Or with my Ken Follett reading list or reading list in general. I just finished his "A Place Called Freedom". I could not put that down toward the end. I do enjoy reading about the UK, or anywhere while I'm there, even if the stories are fictitious and set hundreds of years ago...


Last time in Belfast I read "Home" by Bill Bryson. His words are the perfect way to read about history. 
In Gatwick I started the Ken Follett, Century Trilogy, "World Without End".
This year I've read the second installation, "Winter of the World" (and am looking forward to the final book), plus, "A Place Called Freedom". 

I recommend them all. And though I mention fiction, I must add the first is non-fiction and all of Mr. Follett's historical fiction novels are so well researched, the stories really could have happened.


We visited the Folk and Transportation museum - something like Heritage Park in Calgary. 
Does this not make you think of Van Morrison's, "Caravan"? I suppose it would more so if it were painted red and white... 

We also went out to pubs and listened (and danced, of course) to live music. Belfast is fun! But best with your good friends / good wee mates :)











No comments:

Post a Comment