Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Discovering Colour!

I'd heard of Gel Colours years ago, and emulsions, too.
I cannot explain why I've avoided meeting them and getting to know them all these years...



I also recently discovered Michael's has a cake decorating section.
Who knew? Right. Everyone but ME. Why? 
I cannot say.
Funny, since in order to walk to the cashier you must pass that section, or at least look at it... Lol
Needless to say, we've become acquainted :)




A trio of events transpired and inspired the creation of this vibrant cake.
Meanwhile, I also learnt what Jimmies (aka sprinkles like those on the quintessential doughnut 
from childhood, or at least my childhood) and Quins 
(those are the stars you see in the photo above, 
but they can come in a multitude of shapes and colours) are... 

EVENTS:
1. Gel Colours (Wilton)
2. The Sweetapolita Bakebook, Layer Cake #1
3. A new turquoise cake stand (Wow! Now I have two!) 




This was a going-away cake. My going-away. To Belfast already!!!
We shared with Jordan's parents and our friend Dave.
We all agreed this is one SWEEEEEEEEET cake. It will give you a rush. It's like drugs.
Or so I think. I'm only a cake addict myself, so how would I know? 
But I suggest starting off with a thin slice. 

This cake is a white cake. Made with butter. Which I was very skeptical about initially. 
Rosie's (that's Sweetapolita's real name, coincidence? Maybe not.) instructions are so particular that when I was following them, as exactly as can be, I forgot to worry.
This cake recipe does indeed bake up into a lovely texture, 
albeit different slightly from an oil cake, 
and happily - sets itself apart from most other butter cakes out there.




I really had fun with colour making this cake.  
As you can see I began tinting with the cake layers themselves...
Perhaps I am going colour crazy - but pigment, shade, hue and the colour wheel 
have been spinning through my head - complimentary, palettes, saturation, theory...
I think I love every colour! No favourite allowed. 

One use of colour that can be very artistic and visually interesting is the application to fabric. 
Colour and shape combinations in the form of quilts has recently become intriguing.
I tend to enjoy a more modern look pairing bolder, brighter colours and geometric shapes. 




Unfortunately, my new cake stand has broken in two pieces.
I think it can be mended. I hope so. Superglue to the rescue!
It's such a fun colour!

This is my last day in Canada so I'd best be off.
Five months of iPhone photography awaits the blog. 
One day I'll invest in a laptop!

Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment