Saturday, May 23, 2015

24 hours in Northern Ireland

I feel at home. I know where I'm going. Accents are thick but understandable and the citizens are charming in their own special polite and hilarious combination. I have yet to visit my knitting group, but looking forward to that. I got my rental car yesterday - a Astra in a colour near silver, but slightly blue, called seashell. I think it will be just fine, as is the driving. Already fine with that. 


Today I need a phone, and perhaps a visit to Harry the Butcher, though it'll likely be busy in there. Grocery shopping even at the local Tesco was good. I ended up with a lot of fresh and delicious produce.  The strawberries are on of the items that really impress me. No greenhouse grown, woody, watery, Californian, size of your fist deals - just red and flavourful and strawberry size! 


I bought herbs and some flowers just to try to feel more like Jordan is here. He's always buying me pretty flowers and there are often extras from a big boquet to put in other places around the house so I've got some of these pretty irises in my room, too. 



About cheese. Because it's right up there with the other elixirs of life, like chocolate, avocados, salmon and watercress. I should start a little list of what I am eating here. There are tonnes of choices (yep I'm a metric girl) at less expensive prices than in Canada... Particularly if one were earning in Pounds. 

Taleggio - a whole milk creamy round contained in a salty orange rind, similar to Camembert but more tangy. The rind is also better tasting (quite salty) though I cut at least half away. 

Ilchester Beer and Parsley - soft medium cheese comparable to English cheddar, just a tad softer. Cannot wait to melt this one. So far excellent in salad! (Pictured above) 

Time to finish unpacking and get cracking! 


Yes,  you do see 15 eggs here in the land where I'm guessing a 'dozen' originated. Lol! 



No comments:

Post a Comment