Monday, December 1, 2014

Royal Tyrrell Museum, Drumheller, Alberta

I'm sure it happens to everyone, but I am somewhat ashamed to say I often leave exploring close to home to times when I have company from out of town and outside of Canada to entertain. We have an enormous array of stunningly beautiful places right here at home, yet I often go abroad for various types of exploration, travel and holidays... 



Maybe it has something to do with the winter temperatures? We've just had a deep freeze over the weekend, which does bring to mind being thankful I fly to sunny destinations all winter!

(Coincidence, or are we huddling for warmth in both these photos?)

Regardless, though, when I am taking friends and family to visit any place in Canada I've actually been to, or I am discovering for the first time, I'm always quite proud to show off my country.





More Canadians should visit our great outdoors, and when they are too cold or too snowed in, should instead try our indoor options... Bring in the Royal Tyrrell Museum! 




Some notes about the trip through Alberta from the mid Triassic, the Jurassic and the Cretaceous Periods, bringing up the end of the Mesozoic Era - marked by mass extinction - some 231-66 million years ago: (Wow, right?!!!!)

Occasion: 
My best friend came for a visit from Munich.

Previous visit: 
I believe I was four years old. All I recall is enjoying myself and then choosing a dinosaur dot-to-dot book at the end which made me particularly happy. 

This visit: 
As an adult I'm positive I learned and retained more than me at four. Since I don't spend a lot of time thinking about dinosaurs, but do enjoy being presented with new information, and find many topics to be interesting (if not scintillating, yes T-Rex I'm talking about your incredible fossilized self) I would judge the whole museum to be interesting for anyone. And you might just find yourself thinking about dinosaurs more often...!


Cost: 
$13. (It's off season at the minute, so perhaps the summer entrance fee is more expensive.)

How to get there: 
From the very north of Calgary where we live, the drive, in my speed-limit-abiding car, took just over one and a half hours. Go north on the number 2 and follow the signs taking you east to Drumheller. When you get into Drumheller follow the signs for the Museum, which is a little way outside of town. (You'll pass a huge green dinosaur in town. That's not the museum so keep driving!)


Time to experience the exhibits: 
About 3 hours. I should add I notice I am pretty slow in museums as I like to read and look at everything. I think I learn more this way. So it's perfect when you are not rushed by the rest of your group. Martina and I are similarly paced. You know, BFFs do often have things in common! 


One thing that was very apparent, is the size difference between us and these ferocious beasts of the Mesozoic Era. You know you're never going to have a chance when you only reach T-Rex's knee. Not all dinosaurs were this big, but the little ones (second picture below) are probably twice as big as a human. And certainly carnivorous! 



I had no idea: 
Some dinosaurs had feathers, Alberta was a forested area, somewhat like parts of British Columbia (with a redwood growing to heights of 13m) and that well known Tyrannosaurus and Ceratopsians are our local dinosaurs. Actually a predecessor to T-Rex was larger, but he is considered the most deadly (Albertasaurs). 
Remember Sarah (maybe Cera?), the Triceratops of 'The Land Before Time'? She's from here. Alberta! And the darling opossum, aka Didelphodon, one of my favourite marsupials, has actually been around since the Cretaceous Period. 


What I didn't see: 
Pterodactyls, despite the fact there is a large flock of them flying though the international airport. So no Petrie... Then again, I also didn't get the impression dinosaurs were cute, even when they were babies. So much for kid's movies, dinosaurs are intimidating! 
For the record, Sabre Tooth Tigers and Mammoths are, too. Our ancestors were brave! 

No comments:

Post a Comment