Monday, December 31, 2012

Dreams of Sugar Plums

Salt Spring Island at Christmas

Sigh!... I'm still dreaming!







My trip home for Christmas was ever so nice.  
Our wintry family traditions are sublime.  
A time of year I never want to miss.  




Nature even rejoiced and brought us snow on Salt Spring Island.  
I thought it was spectacular and beautiful.  My parents were on the opposite side of the seesaw on this however, as they pronounced more time must be spent on the southern hemisphere next winter...


Nevertheless, a snowy, alpine vista always 
speaks ideal, cozy Christmas to me.  
Sweaters and hot chocolate.  
Fire places and cuddling.  
Glowing lights and merrymaking.  
The sweet scents of baking and 
the aroma of fresh boughs.  

Yes, my Christmas is rural, rustic, 
and of course, red.  
It's quaint and quiet.  
Always full of love.  And magic.  
Just spend Christmas with me and you will see.


Then you will come to know the true meaning of this special time of year :)
  


I do love the presentation. The shimmering and the richness of hue...
The rubies and sapphires... The silver and gold!
Ribbons, bobbles, papers and fabrics!






 I really love that we often have handmade gifts under our tree.
These are buttons made for me by my Dad.
Aren't they cute?!
Now I'm dreaming up projects just to show them off!




Christmas is never complete without baking!
And I wanted to try new recipes in my new kitchen.  
They turned out nicely, if I do say so myself ;)

CHOCOLATE & PEPPERMINT CREAMS

Think mint brownie.  But cuter :)

Mix first four ingredients until pale and creamy. Mix next three ingredients in a separate bowl, then combine with the wet.  Mix well.  Add chocolate.  Make balls about 1 tbsp in size and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees F, for about 10 minutes (they will still be soft to the touch).  Cool on wire rack.  Mix up icing.  Here orange would also be nice, or a liquor , or even cream cheese... !  Use a Ziplock bag, cutting a small hole in one corner to pipe icing (this doesn't need to be very perfect) on the bottom of a cookie and sandwich to another cookie.  Voilà!

Dough:  
150g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup cocoa, sifted
1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chocolate chips or chunks

Icing:
2 1/2 cups icing sugar
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
2 tbsp milk



OAT & ALMOND LACE COOKIES

This is pretty and light tasting.  When still warm, these are pliable and may be rolled.

Melt butter in a pot or in microwave.  Add sugars and honey.  Stir until dissolved.
Remove from heat and add rest of the ingredients.  Stir and add only as much flour as necessary - dough will be quite oily though!  Scoop dough with melon-baller and place WELL apart on parchment paper or good non-stick surface as they will spread since they will become flat in the heat of the oven.  Bake about 10 minutes - until just browning, at 350 degrees F.  Allow to cool somewhat before transferring to rack or attempting to roll.  Melt chocolate and decorate!  Makes 8 cookies.

1/2 cup sliced almonds
2 tbsp oats
6 tbsp butter
6 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp honey
1-4 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
melted chocolate(s) of your choice 

No comments:

Post a Comment