Sunday, May 1, 2016

Bathroom Update

I'm not saying this is so true of men, so much as it is of women, but each and everyone one of us does spend a fair amount of quotidian time in the bathroom. I'm not a woman who spends a ton of time in one of the smallest rooms of the house, but in the course of an average week I suspect I log seven hours in there. Good grief! (and you come out looking like you do... Lol) Looking at it in this way reminds me it's a heck of a relief these hours are spent in a nice bathroom. 



On that note - of nice bathroom spaces - I thought when it comes to renovations, the bathroom should probably be our first priority in our little house. Above is a photo, and you might agree: Functional, but a bit sad and outdated.


Lots of shower/bath scrubbing (like thee hours!) showed it was obvious with some caulking and well chosen flooring (in order to pull the colour of the shower walls in) we could avoid replacing the tub enclosure - see above photo. Otherwise we kept only the light fixture, heat vent and door. We kept the drywall, too, but completely changed the subfloor. And ended up with this: 




In achieving the above it was quite a bit of grunt work. Our goals were to repair all floor rot, have pressure from the shower, for the toilet to remain level, and include a wee nod at revival. Perhaps in a softer colour, (butter yellow because obviously I have a thing for yellow - butter anyone?) favouring a country-shabby-chic décor. Jordan is quite happy to go along with my decorating schemes even if they turn out more feminine than neutral... 


Nothing like a good scrub and a nice coat of white to clean things up. Just painting this vent cover did wonders. Also to go with the decor theme, I finished the mouldings and door with an antiqued brush finish and sealer. 

I hope you like it because we made it especially for Jordan's lovely cousin - also a lady so perhaps she'll appreciate the feminine touches - who I hope will enjoy it, too. A few more details such as door stop, a shelf, and hooks will complete the room. Fashioned rusticly, building them should be manageable. 

Since everything was remarkably well built and still works, I will likely keep the vanity as a base for a wood working table. Maybe the toilet and sink could become planters? Looking back to childhood, my Dad would have thought the same, jokingly, knowing it would not be permitted by my mom. Shall we ask Jordan, who was so adamant I not use palettes in the house, EVER? 

But I did. And never showed you yet. So here's our extra bedroom:


I used a nifty crate for a bedside table, as well as an old panelled window for decoration. The palettes just serve as a frame to elevate the mattress, and create a walkway at the foot of the bed. 


And just to let you know you're a loved guest, I chose this pillow. :)


Oh and Jordan does want to keep the toilet planter... And is talking about a special inscription to go on the lid as a nod to our farm's name. More on that later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment