Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Rabbitry Beginnings

I've waited and waited for these three rabbits! 
Finally I was able to meet with the breeder. She lives about six hours north of Red Deer so it was quite convenient to meet her in Red Deer for the pick up. I didn't have the opportunity to choose my stock, so I'm stuck with these genes, at least to begin. And breeding will see what that brings!

Meet our breeding stock: 

Grand Chef, our Buck, needs a bit of an attitude adjustment, though he's not had a temper tantrum for a week or so now... He sounds like a pig when he's mad! He's a big fellow, weighing about 10 pounds, but apparently a very picky eater. We are working on this... I don't want him to waste away. 





Rochelle, our oldest doe, is the sweetest bunny of all. 
She has a lovely temperament, keeps her cage tidy and we think she will make a good mama rabbit. Her favourite treat is sunflower seeds, so we've planted sunflowers we will harvest just for her. 
We hope her black features are hereditary and she passes them on. 





Lynnette is a little over a month younger than Rochelle and she is cheeky and full of baby energy. She's beginning to get her silver hairs and I wonder if she will go more the all-over silver like Grand Chef, or more black striping in the facial area like Rochelle. Maybe she will be different! 



Rabbits don't travel too well... The younger the better it seems and Grand Chef either had a rather mean streak to start with or the drive simply brought out his mal humour. 
I'll try feeding him banana. He needs to be sweetened up! 

The chickens are no longer chicks, and I can't wait until they begin laying! 
We've been experimenting with a mobile enclosure, a chicken tractor, if you will, and although moving it with them inside, or not, and then carrying them to and from is a pain, they are developing their foraging skills. I'd like to reduce their bagged many-unappitizing-over-processed-ingredient feed to a minimum and instead give them more wholesome chicken food (Like maggots!! Yum, right? And whole grains), after all, what goes in is what comes out, which in this case are eggs that I'll be eating. Amaranth or quinoa, buckwheat or turnips, but still undecided and rotor tiller-less! 


Above Georgi looks a tad guilty. 
Which he was, sitting on the bed! 
And furthermore, I later found he'd also eaten all my indoor seedlings!!!
Bad kitty. 
But the poor little meow-meow is sick. No one knows what's wrong with him. 
Hopefully he will pull through! 

This morning just before leaving the house I realized Georgi was chasing something. The something was a mouse, a large, plump mouse with ears like a bear, hiding behind the recycling bins. I pulled them away from the wall to let the cat at it, but the cat was just playing too gently. So I brought in our real mouser: Rori. She also just likes to play, but her bite is more lethal. She bit and tossed the mouse numerous times, not killing it, just puncturing it, and then flung the mouse, hard - right at me. Blood splattered. Luckily not on my uniform, but by then I'd had quite enough. The injured mouse ran under the fridge and since I'd prefer to put the poor thing out of its misery, than for it to die in some obscure location and ferment, I pulled out the fridge, and got the mouse away from the dog. Outside I sent the mouse to mouse heaven. The cat was irritated at the dog, the dog was irritated at me, both for 'toy' stealing, and I was irritated at them both for making me deal with the mouse! 
It was early, but I was wide awake by the time I left. ;) 







No comments:

Post a Comment