Saturday, April 30, 2016

New Garden and a Game!


What's a farm without a garden? Well I'd argue every farm could happily include a garden. During the 24 hours in total I spent digging, weeding, aerating and arranging of the top soil in order to recreate this garden patch I wondered what the garden looked like a hundred years ago, and more recently. How big was it? How much time did it take? What did they grow? How did they water it? 


Well someone, more recently likely, planted asparagus. 
That was very thoughtful, and we certainly appreciate it! 
Look what just popped up out of the ground and onto our plates! 


Although I've got feelings of trepidation toward my green thumb, I've started some seeds indoors, and even a few outside already (even though our frost free weekend hasn't yet passed) and I'm waiting for May Long Weekend to plant the remainder of the direct-sow seeds and transplant my sweet peas, calendula, pansies, lavender and herbs. The onions, green onions, bachelor's buttons, radishes and beets have all said hello to our early sunshine: 


Since our amazing snap of warm weather we've got other interesting and new-to-me plants materializing before our eyes. Perhaps any and all the plant enthusiasts out there could help me identify a few species? This is what I mean about a game! Here are the specimens and descriptions. Leave me a comment if you know what any of these plants are. 

Please, helllllp me! 

Tree. We've got one large one in our yard and other smaller ones line either side of our driveway as a wind break. 

Perennial, in a garden bed. 

This is a compact bush. They may have dark coloured berries and lose all their leaves before winter. They're often used in hedges or rows.

Hollyhock, right? Are there still some heritage plants that actually bloom year after year, or is it just a two year blooming ability? 

Again a smaller garden bed perennial, but this one has a wet sort of sheen to its leaves.

Almost succulent-like (or maybe that's exactly what it is) with what looks like stalks from last summer.

We had this creeping ground cover when I was a kid, but I don't recall its name... Periwinkle? 

A bush with a more vertical tendancy, which has a few clusters of orange berries left over from the fall. 

A flowering bush, first showing the blooms/buds up close, then at a distance.


So far this bush only has leaves...

This is a flowering bush. 

I hope to become further acquainted with these plants soon!








1 comment: