Saturday, April 4, 2015

To Dye, Or Not to Dye...

...Your Egg Yolks...???


Yes, that's the question, and I think so.

A little egg-respect:
I love eggs. From a scientific and engineering point of view they are pretty amazing. 
As a food they are nutritious and delicious and so simple. 
Delicate perhaps, but each one comes wrapped in it's own perfect package and it keeps, 
especially refrigerated, for quite a long time.
I think an egg is a beautiful thing!

I like my eggs soft or hard boiled, in quiche, baking and mousses...
And deviled, obviously.

Today, like most days when I have the chance, I have been playing with eggs. 
Chicken eggs usually. (Store bought ones, unfortunately) 
Deviled was on the menu. (or is that devilled, devil-ed...? apparently a consensus hasn't been reached)
Because it's Easter! 
Or because I read this/looked at the photos. 
More likely the photos. 
Probably.




I like how this photo captures a retro feel. 
Did you watch American Hustle?
(If you didn't, you should)
That era.
Sydney's dresses, clothes and accessories... Amazing. Covet them.
Some of Irving's are pretty interesting, too.

I decided to try baking my eggs to "hard boil". 
Cooking times are longer at higher altitudes, and by longer, I mean a lot longer!!! 
The perfect soft boiled egg would be hard at sea level...
So I'll have to try that about hundred times more before I attain perfection, 
because 35-40 minutes in the oven gives you the ideal soft boil. 
But I want them hard!

Also when Jessica [howsweeteats] mentions it's not easy to remove the yoke from her up-right, 
totally awesome looking, non-standard deviled eggs. I'd agree. 
So mine 
(the survivors of the cutting and what appears to have been smashing, but I promise you wasn't) 
are the usual.
Roasted garlic entirely makes these eggs sing! 
Yes, I know they're not hatched and never will be, but those cute little eggs are singing!

Only now I wish I'd dyed my yolks yellower before piping back into the whites. 
Is that a thing? Do people do that?





I want to. 
And I just might! 

Happy Easter by the way!

I'm off to buy blue cheese!
Because, you know, we pretty much ALWAYS have bacon... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment