Monday, April 20, 2015

Building Project - Largest Shed EVER!

Contrary to popular belief, I actually do other things than make, eat and dream about cake.

For example, Jordan and I met my brother and his wife 
on Salt Spring to do a project for my mom. 
As it turns out, I also love building, being outside and doing fun stuff with my family. 
All things I'd like to do more of... 
Not sure where to find all the time though!


I didn't start taking pictures at the beginning, because I forget things like that.
Here, the years-ignored foundation and upright logs have received some TLC in the form of bracing. My lack of strength and skill meant one of my jobs was bolting everything together. 

And the trusses were delivered. 
I am not the only one who loved the hydraulic lift on the delivery truck.
All muscles took a satisfied sigh at the sight!


Just about finished securing the trusses in place.


Now they're even braced.


The decking for the metal roof has begun, while my brother puts up the facia. 
All fancy pants angles while I went about screwing. 
Screwing haha! Screwing down the decking.
Screws have an interesting history. 
Read One Good Turn to find out all about them, in a Bill Bryson style presentation. 


Admiring one half of the roof decked. I told you it was BIG.
(Probably wishing it weren't solid, as more material wouldn't need to be purchased, 
and we might just be done already) 
However, in reality those two are more likely discussing hops and ale. 
But it looks like they're talking about the roof. Which is a convenient cover...


And a view from underneath.
It might seem I wasn't helping at all, but as it turns out I was the only one taking photos.
I really am more industrious than these photos suggest.


We worked steadily, except in torrential downpour, visited no one, 
ate and slept - which I think means we used our time as wisely as possible. 
Unfortunately we had to leave at this unfinished point, on the nicest day!!! 
Not to worry though, we left my brother to finish up! 


Good bye Fulford Harbour! See you soon I hope! 

Actually we had one interruption, in which Jeff cut me a round from a tree. 
It's purpose is decorative - a rustic sort of serving platter... It's my new favourite item :) 
Which means it'll be showing up sooner or later.
In the meantime it's filling my Calgary kitchen with a fantastic Douglas fir forest aroma, 
which is undoubtedly part of my condo living hegira.

One day, I will again, live outside the city.
This is just the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment