Thursday, February 5, 2015

Breed Specific Yarn!


I discovered WiseWomanHerbals
She not only brushes, cards, spins and hand dyes, she also dyes with natural dyes! 
So basically she does everything, because she also knits! 
I want to be able to do that, too!

Just in case we do get a wee little farm, and can keep a few sheep, 
I'm beginning my research for the perfect breed (or breeds) to keep, thanks to Linda, 
the woman behind the Etsy shop where I purchased this yarn.


Babydoll Southdown, Dyed with Japanese Indigo, Worsted Weight, 72 yards
It's quite springy. 




Columbia, Dyed with Marigold and Logwood, DK Weight, 82 yards (Colourway Froggy)
The least soft overall.




Romeldale/CVM, Dyed with Logwood, Sport Weight, 344 yards
It's fairly soft. The two plys began naturally white and grey so the result of the twist is varied.




Wensleydale, Dyed with Onion Skins, Sock or Light Sport Weight, 284 yards
This one is quite silky.




Corriedale, Dyed with Wild Bidens Flowers and Garden Grown Hopi Dye Sunflower Seeds, 
Light Sport Weight, 404 yards 
This is more peachy coloured than it looks, and is also fairly soft.



Do you have a favourite breed specific yarn to knit or spin? 
Have you ever used natural dyes? If so, I'd love to hear about it! 

I'm currently pondering what to knit with each of these skeins (and partial skeins)...
Suggestions are welcome!

What do you think of the sheep?


1 comment:

  1. I think you should make a ducky baby cap from the Wensleydale silky wool... just saying!

    ReplyDelete