Sunday, August 24, 2014

Northern Ireland...

...Oh how I've missed you!

The land is so green! Emerald is so easy on the eyes...
Folk are so friendly. It's a small place, but big enough people don't actually know everyone. 
For those who are from a wee place you know the virtues of that. 
There are even a few leprechauns. Ah so. I wouldn't lie. 
If a map shows a thirty minute drive, it'll take you over an hour. Tractor traffic jam.
Aachhh! - is that how you spell it? 
If you can see it from here, you cannot get there directly. Not a chance.
It's the only place where you'll find good craic for free, and it's legal, too!

Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone... You could be in all six counties in a single day for sure, though I'd take my time. Below, Ian's tractor. Farms are an interesting thing in NI. Take for example the area of NI: 13,843 kms square. That's 3,420,680 acres. A quarter section, if I'm not mistaken is 160 acres, so that's only 21,380 quarter sections, or 5,345 sections! Never mind though, they produce some of the best vegetables and excellent beef. Yes Alberta, you could take a few notes. Or perhaps blades. I think it's the grass. Just a hunch.


I actually felt like I was going home when we drove to Templepatrick from the Airport. 

As always I didn't really take any pictures. Or at least post-able ones, for the minute. I did chance a snap when we ate the delectable Topfen Knödel Martina made as a treat:


Since I was visiting over Monday and Tuesday I couldn't miss my two regular events. 
On Monday from 7-9 I was at Brown's in Ballyclare for an evening of knitting. Unfortunately, no regular knitters were there, but it was certainly nice to be remembered, even by name. Since green seemed to be an obvious theme, I started these wee mittens that very evening, though in retrospect I could have used more contrast:


They were a first for a few things. And the pattern was created to allow me to experiment with different skills before making big person mitts. (These are little person mittens - for a certain little four year old)

The 'things' included: the magic loop method for the first time, meanwhile attempting stranded colourwork and my first ever picot edge in the round. Two colour ribbing happened, too. 
All the while I really forced myself to knit with two colours in one hand, instead, you know, of just putting one strand down and picking the other up, over and over and over…

Tuesday night at the Empire hasn't changed much. The band takes its sweet time to set up. The place is basically abandoned until the first notes hit the air - and then it's packed. For just an hour - of dancing and the wonderful sounds of Motown and Northern Soul. Then it's over. Until next Tuesday. Wouldn't have missed it for anything! 

Visiting such good, old friends is a great pleasure. I stayed an extra day.

              Last year, near Templepatrick.

Well. That'll do.

1 comment:

  1. Your pictures look amazing, I have now read your entire blog too!! And now so very hungry all the food..... Nom Nom Nom. When your back you and Jordan will have to come over for dinner and fire and you can tell us all your adventures! Miss you
    Xx Jenna

    ReplyDelete