Monday, January 28, 2013

Red, Red Velvet

A Valentine's Experiment


Yet another cake from Sweetapolita!


I had dreams of a Valentine's cake on my mind ever since I saw pictures of this cake.  I wanted to make it but wasn't sure if I could achieve the deep red colour myself.  (Well the proof is in the pudding, or shall I say in the cake, ha ha ha!!!)  See Sweetapolita here.
I was particularly interested in the taste tester tidbit - if one man who eats little cake in general, was willing to give this cake a whole whopping two slices try, then could other not so sweetly inclined people also like it?  Maybe, but sadly it's really not my favourite.  What does red velvet taste like?  I don't know.  Maybe that's what stopped me.  I'm not saying it was bad, really I'm not! I mean I've now enjoyed a few more than two pieces, but other flavours just simply rank higher with my taste buds.  If the RV thing really floats your boat, however, the recipe makes a heavenly texture and the moisture factor is just right.  This cake does take three types of icing or frosting or whatever you want to call the sweet stuff sandwiched between layers and covering the outside.  That's a little intensive, but then again, totally fun.  It's also a pretty cake for sure - though my results are not quite so beautiful as those on her blog.  Red is a big favourite with me and the hue results were quite satisfying.  Nonetheless my mind will never forget how much food colouring is required... 




 It was a fun experiment, and like experiments insinuate, I shall be attempting more Valentine's confections.  Probably many more before I strike that, "Ah ha" moment.  That's just fine with me because playing with food is what it's all about!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO

Oh! I do LOVE red!
Sigh, And my kitchen!  I love my kitchen!
Isn't it nice to be in love with life?
And in love?
Of course it is!



On a side note:

I love the sunshine.  
Sunrises and sunsets.

Another reason I love my new place!!!

Sunset from the ramp at the airport in Medicine Hat
Sunshine can be disruptive to sleeping particularly if you must sleep in (or just want to) 
so when I was choosing which unit I wanted to live in I did take this into account... 
I wanted a view of the sunset and therefore face away from the sunrise.  
I just didn't know how good my choice was going to be.

On clear days I wake up on the shadow side looking at the mountains 
which are illuminated to perfection by the rising sun, 
and in the afternoon every room is full of light and warmth 
and the silhouette of the mountains is majestic beneath the often colourful sunset sky. 

And since the days are getting longer I'll soon be able to say the sunset is in the evening!

I'm just so happy about all the little and big things I love.
I feel glorious!



No comments:

Post a Comment