Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Happy Canada Day!



That means red, right?!

So... I had to retry this whole red velvet cake thing for the occasion. This time with more cocoa.

As it turns out (unsurprisingly) more chocolate makes for better flavour. Unfortuneately, the red colour goes a bit more brick with the additional dark brown ingredients. 


Looks cute, I think! 

I'm afraid I veered away from the land of Sweetapolita, because I was in search of two things: 
All oil and more chocolate. 

I found a suitable recipe, tweeked it and though it may not be the best recipe for red velvet out there just yet, it worked well. My Canada Day is now complete with red cake!



RED VELVET CAKE

Whisk together:
2 1/2 cups Flour
5 tbsp Dutch Process Cocoa 
1 tsp Salt

In separate bowl, (the bowl you'll end up having all the batter in) mix until combined:
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 cups Oil

Add one at a time, mixing thoroughly:
2 Large Eggs
 
Mix in:
1 tbsp Red Velvet Emulsion
1 tsp Vanilla

Add flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating flour/buttermilk/flour/buttermilk/flour:
1 cup Buttermilk

In a small cup combine:
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp White Vinegar
Then mix into the batter (about 10 seconds)

Split between three 8" pans or two 9". Bake at 350 degrees F until done. 


 I wanted to cover the whole cake in icing, meanwhile I wanted a light enough texture throughout. I chose to fill the cake with a stabilized whipped cream and cover the outside in cream cheese icing - then add a bit of crunch on top. Honey comb and chocolate = Crunchy bar.

The texture is important! 



Oh Canada, it was delectable! 









No comments:

Post a Comment