Saturday, January 3, 2015

Year Behind, Year Ahead

Apart from 2014 having been disrupted by losing my sweet Daddy-Pops, 
which is more a life event than particularly representative of 2014... 
the year was quite okay. 

On Reflection:
I even managed to get a 2.5 month deployment when nothing seemed to be available. 
I turned thirty, went on a few vacations, spent time in the woods on Salt Spring, 
knitted and even received a wonderful camera. 



I also made an effort to keep up to date with creating photo books for this year. 
Books, plural is because we decided to separate the 
'Adventures' from the 'Food and all things Made'. 
Of course it still needs Christmas added to it, so there's some tweeking to be done.

As you may have noticed last year, I like to categorize my goals. 
Total weirdo. I know. 
Not resolving to change that! 

Work/Language/Health/Friends/Family/Travel/Knitting/Financial/
Learn To/Reading List/Just Do It/Visit

It appears the success factor is increased when I describe, in some detail,
 how I plan to accomplish something, I've noticed. 

I'm happy to report I totally rocked my knitting and financial goals, both at 100%, 
which I feel is directly due to prior planning. 
I also did well enough in the Health/Friends/Family/Travel/Just Do/Visit categories.

The Work/Learn To/Reading List suffered down at 50% or less, however, and
my Language goals could have benefitted the most from proactive prevention of poor performance. They rolled in at a measly 10%... I think that's a fail.


I mentioned last year some of the things I wanted to do in 2014. 
I'm most happy about my pasta and bread making. 
I spent a great deal of time, particularly on the latter, and came up with some pleasing results. 
We had Pasta Carbonera to welcome in the New Year. 
So simple, so delicious! 
(But it did take 1.75 hours to make from start to finish.)

Here's a quick look at what I knit in 2014, minus a blue toque of Jordan's 
and a few head bands for which I doubt I'll ever track down a photo:

Jordan's 'Rain Hat'

Alexandre's Sweater and Booties
...and his Hat

Mom's Tam

Child Colourwork Mittens 

Asymmetrical Woolly Wrap Sweater

Martina's Christmas Toque

Diane's Lion Toque

Honeycomb-Flame Scarf

Do you remember this? Well, finally it became Lucille, below.
I absolutely loved the yarn!
The pattern made a much bigger sweater than I figured and also took reconstruction
of the pattern in the yoke to achieve the look of the pattern pictures.
Ultimately, I'm really delighted with the results.
The full sweater!

Jordan's Christmas Socks (and Boots)
I finished the second one a little late for the 25th,
but he pronounced them to be so cozy he didn't want to take them off :)

It seems like I came in pretty well on the knit goals I set. 
I gave myself 100% considering I wanted to do four things: 
use my Irish wool, use stash wool, use buttons my dad made me (ok I used only one, 
but now they're out of production, so conservation rules in effect) and to knit Christmas gifts. 
Complete! 

My Best Photo of the year (according to me) was a shot seen from a distance. 
 I just walked into position, and took it. I'm kind of proud of that moment and process :)


Looking ahead toward the possibilities and the future of 2015 is exciting.

They say having a buddy to join you makes endeavours more fun and 
more likely to ignite and stay lit. 
Language and Health should benefit from such a connection, 
as Jordan and I plan to play lots of Badminton and practice French together.

This year, if all goes well with family and deployment length, 
fingers CROSSED, 
I may finally see the Danube by bike.



On KnittingI'd like to use more of my Irish wool, try out Brioche, 
make a classic pair of colourwork mittens and do some breed specific knitting. 
The last point is important. 
If one day I may have the chance to have sheep, I'd better do my homework!

Kitchen endeavours will involve cheese more complex than ricotta.
Craftsy and Mary Karlin is my source for chevre, mozzarella and cheddar!


No comments:

Post a Comment