Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Milk + Culture + Heat = YOGURT!!!

So here's my latest kitchen experiment. Yogurt. 
Or Yoghurt. Or even Yoghourt. 
Do you think the latter is the UK/Canadian spelling?

I've found a book on how to make dairy products yourself and I am fascinated! 
Ideally, I'd love to have a cow I fed and milked myself...
But alas the days of Annabelle the Cow have not yet arrived.
For those of you who don't know, she's the cow I'm going to get when I retire :)

Yogurt is quite simple albeit the struggle to keep the temperature consistently at 110 degrees F... 
As I don't have an incubator just for that purpose.


I heated the milk, mixed in the real yogurt starter and waited 9 hours...


I am quite surprised with the successful results. I've actually accomplished what I set out to do. 
There were shouts of joy when I opened the first jar the following day :)


There are some considerations however for further experimentation: 
possibly incubating for longer, like say 12 hours
and using the light in my oven to keep consistent heat
and setting the jars on the rack, rather than the shelf in my oven.

Also the yogurt seems to solidify more after a few days in the fridge.
I will be trying this again, and I'd definitely like to try this with goat's milk as well.

Cultured Buttermilk, Sourcream and Ricotta next!

*****

On other topics:

...Such as knitting... 
As I have finally stopped procrastinating and completed this baby gift
I've got something to show:



I am now wondering about a bonnet...
Maybe the Modern Baby Bonnet found here, or the Baby Pilot Style Hat found here.
While looking around for bonnets I liked I must say I do fancy the February Baby Bonnet (same gull pattern as the February Baby Sweater which is an awesome pattern btw) 
but it's just not matching enough for me in this case.

*****

I think we've now had the final cross country ski for the year.
We had a nice trip on Saturday and the weather was even cooperating!
   

 *****

 Sourdough... I'm building a starter... It's totally weird but totally cool - 
More on that subject soon!

Any suggestions on the bonnet greatly appreciated :)

No comments:

Post a Comment