Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Bagette Success!


There has been a lot of bread experimenting in my kitchen since the beginning of January.
It's time consuming and I've gone through a heck of a lot of flour in the process.
I decided it would be wise to experiment in smaller batches, 
so that's why I've been stuck on baguettes.

And finally I've had a small but very happy moment of Eureka!
It's called the preferment.

I noticed "make the most of your straight doughs" and read on...
(Bread Making, by Lauren Chattman, from Rose Levy Beranbaum)
The suggestion was to use this method with a favourite recipe in order to see the difference.

Either make the mixture below and let it sit in a warm spot on the counter for an hour 
or leave in the fridge between 5-24 hours before adding the remaining ingredients. 
The rise was also much more successful (actually I was quite surprised with this achievement!!!) 
and the flavour took on something slightly more complicated... Yum.
The rising times are also shorter using this preferment method.

Mix 2.5 x flour, half the yeast and all of the water.


No comments:

Post a Comment