Monday, December 2, 2013

Reflection: Mirror, Mind, Me

I think I've been back in Canada long enough now to comment on myself and how it feels.
Canada is home of course.  I believe some places are homier though than others.  
And Calgary is just fine with me. Minus perhaps the minus temperatures!


I went to Vancouver for a birthday celebration. 
It was fun and important, as is the birthday girl, naturally, a truly lovely friend and person!
It was also completely overdue. So glad I went!


But Vancouver itself? 
I had to go to begin to understand... that I might be crazy, but maybe not...
It's possible I'll change my mind. I'll let you know if I do.
This is just the way I see it:

Cool name, nicest airport in the country, best sushi, the one and only Stanley Park, beautiful certainly and the air is fresh, 
but I realize the city is not really for me. 
And it wasn't even raining.

I'm kind of a contrast. Do you know what I mean? No?
I'm a BC girl, I know - but somehow I don't feel like that person is reflected by the biggest city in the province. 
Maybe I'm just an island girl... 

For all those people who can't believe I'd have ever left Vancouver for Calgary and not be dying to move back, firstly that wasn't the sequence of events, and secondly if you replaced Vancouver with North Saanich the question might have some validity. Maybe it's about creed, maybe vision, honesty?

Let's just say, bring on the Noise, bring on the Big, bring on Alberta, my arms are wide open! 

I'll even let all your money talk slip. I love your raw (crude?) nature and your entrepreneurial spirit! (Just let me fly in Econ at Optimum Altitude, don't worry we're still buying your gas) 



One thing I'm loving, here in Calgary, is my home. I finally moved into my room a few days ago. 
What a simple pleasure to turn the last light off from bed! 
And to know that even though it's completely dark, my room looks lovely! 
Now all I need is someone to share it with... Lol. 
No, that's not really an invitation. I already sleep with a pilot every night!
(Sorry that joke is getting old, isn't it?)






I'm missing a song that reminds me of myself at this particular moment in time... Usually I have one.  For example, when I lived in Steveston, it was "She's so California" by Gary Allen, 
and when I moved to Mississauga for the first year at least, 
it was, "The Long Way Around" by the Dixie Chicks. 

Interesting these both happen to be country songs... Coming home I've eased right into 105.3 in the car.  I like my country, and I like it loud!

Friday is time for Two Step. I figure I better learn how to dance properly if I'm here! 
When in Rome...
Nonetheless I need a new song.  Suggestions gladly accepted!



Have you ever noticed when your mind is made aware of something new, all sorts of otherwise unnoticed, unusual and separate things often appear and are randomly related? 
It's kind of odd, the power of thinking, but I love that!










No comments:

Post a Comment