Monday, July 29, 2013

A little Ireland for me

I said I was going to Dublin, but technically I was never there...
In actuality I went to Malahide, which is a town just north of Dublin, and Limerick, on the hottest days Ireland has ever experienced. Okay, maybe not. But I didn't bring enough summer clothes and it was sweltering! The locals looked like they felt hotter than me.

But it was beautiful!
Once again I'm sorry I didn't take enough photos, however I was busy enjoying the experience :)

I took a three hour bus ride to and from Limerick which is a pretty good way to get around.  Good system, good price, possibly wifi and definitely air conditioning. Just outside the city (by taxi) I went to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park.  See photos below of the castle, a phone booth and a pub.  It was a gorgeous evening sitting out on the picnic tables of the pub in the sunshine with a small river flowing nearby and view of the castle, made oh so much more sparkly with Champagne. Two bus loads of wedding guests, bride and groom too, emptied out into the pub, but we preferred the outdoors.



Malahide was my favourite though. It is to Dublin what Sidney is to Victoria, except better.  People of all ages were enjoying the pretty village; its shops and restaurants and park along the seaside are quaint and welcoming. The large park that surrounds the Malahide Castle is precisely what I'd like to find behind my house if I really lived in Europe. There are trails for running or walking, grass for games and picnicking, ample space and well established grounds, even tennis courts and golfing! I even took a few jogs around the circumference myself... As in one per day, not two at a time! ;)

We ate out at a Thai restaurant on The Green (that's a street alongside a park) which was really rather delicious... Isn't Thai always the answer to Asian cuisine when you desire the flavour and the warmth that sushi just doesn't bring and do not desire the feeling you're about to go into cardiac arrest following your meal? Yes, Thai wins, never ties. I wish I could recall the name...
We also ate at Sale e Pepe, which sounds more Italian than it is in fact, but does boast locally sourced ingredients and certainly offers choices to the palate-restrained of the british isles. I wonder though... Am I just so used to Italian foods they have become ubiquitous in my culinary awareness?

No comments:

Post a Comment