Monday, February 18, 2013

A little birthday cake...

...Is totally fun and cute and thoughtful.  

If you just turned 30, this little cake may have been for you ;)


Happy Birthday!

I know it looks big but it was about 3 inches by 3 inches and about 4 inches tall.
It was sweet but not too sweet because of the glorious whipped cream between layers.
Mmmm... whipped cream!

 I had wanted to make one of Sweetapolita's cakes for two, particularly the blackberry one 
because I love blackberries, but a funny thing happened to me in the morning.

Normally before bed I take my watch off, but instead of leaving it off, 
I put it back on for some reason.  In the morning I woke up thinking I had really slept in.  
Not remembering I was wearing my watch I headed to the kitchen to check the time.  
There had been a power outage and the stove and microwave were blinking a digital uselessness, 
so that's when I actually looked at my wrist.  
My watch read 3pm, and I pretty much flew into panic mode at the speed of light; 
Company at 5pm and a cake to make before that, 
not to mention I need a shower!!!

About two minutes later I realized that if you put your watch on upside down, 
9:30 looks just like 3 o'clock... haha the joke was on me :)

Somehow I never seemed to get out of rush mode though 
and this little 5 layer treat was the outcome.






Cake: Martha Stewart Living, February 2013, slightly less than half the recipe.

Icing: Cocoa adaptaion to Sweetapolita's Vanilla version.  I made the whole recipe but ended up with twice as much as I required.  Then again it will get used and I never had the feeling I'd run out.

Filling: Whipping cream plus stabilizer for those of us without a charged gas dispenser!

No comments:

Post a Comment