Thursday, August 23, 2012

Summer Vacation - Salt Spring Island

A summer vacation is always welcome.  Normally when the word 'vaction' is thought of, the word 'relaxing' comes to mind.  In fact I might even associate the two words.  However, for those who know me well, they might not think my vacations would be relaxing.  I did spend a few relaxing moments here and there, but I will admit it was a whirlwind, and now, the day before I have to return to work, I do feel the need for the proverbial 'vacation from the vacation'.

However I did maximize my vacation, and that is very pleasing indeed.

One day I do hope I discover how to live without sacrificing sleep. The obvious answer is to get a different job, then maybe also never to stay up all night just to make an early morning flight... But starting vacations late is simply implausible!



Salt Spring Island

Getting to Salt Spring from Toronto can sometimes be a nuisance, and there are many ways to go, but in consideration of time and ease my usual preference is to fly directly from Lester B. Pearson to Victoria International.  I like to be picked up from the airport by a suave male specimen and taken to Swartz Bay after making a quick stop for lunch at any of my favourite Sidney-by-the-Sea eateries, so I can catch the ferry to Fulford Harbour, where I also like to be picked up, but this time by my parents.  It is quite possible to take a bus in place of either or both of the pick ups, but it is easier (surprisingly) from Fulford, than from the Airport. 




I thought it couldn't get better than that.  

But when said suave male takes you from Sidney to Salt Spring by modest personal vessel on a spectacular summer day, it gets MUCH better!  

It really does!






























I enjoyed barbecues, the company of numerous visitors and even the 30 hours I squeezed in gardening.  I worked a little on my photography homework, so that you may see some of the garden, too.  The only reservation I have is that I took no before pictures.  Nevertheless the face lift was certainly noticeable!








Colour photos are lovely for everything, though when it comes to taking photos of people, particularly for capturing the essence of humans in a timeless fashion, I do love black and white.  
Personally I may never be able to do quite that, but I am happy with this one:


 What do you think?

My vacation does not stop here, but I will have to pause for work.  I'll be back shortly with the next installment :)








No comments:

Post a Comment